20/365


Inauguration Day

What a day, to watch history unfold...pretty cool! I actually watched the coverage on CNN during lunch starting a little after 11AM. It was neat to see all the former Presidents, VPs and others take their spots. By the time of the swearing in + speech I was watching in a classroom full of about 80 second graders (including my son) + teachers + aides. We had it projected nice and big so everyone could see well. I'm pretty sure most second graders don't get the deeper meaning of the moment, but they were pretty excited to see our new President! Pretty much the whole school watched in different rooms around the school, definitly a teachable moment. After school we came home to find the parade was running behind, which worked out for us. We got to watch it together and talk about what was going on. I've been to DC several times, but we haven't taken the kids yet. Watching this all unfold makes me want to take them NOW -well, maybe this summer?! Being a teacher is actually what has gotten me more interested in politics in recent years (I have voted every single time - Nov + any special elections since I turned 18 in 1992!) NCLB (No Child Left Behind) and all of its unfunded mandates, the mess of school funding (especially in Ohio) plus this awesome time of Hillary v. Obama, what fun it's been! ....back to watch more CNN before bed!

Check it out...
This is cool. This too! One more!

2 comments:

  1. I, too, did the same kind of picture on the inauguration. What else could we really take a picture of on a day like today?! At my school, it was a teacher work day, so we I was able to watch it on the school's television while working on report card grades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working on progress reports tonight. I couldn't get into it last night!

    ReplyDelete